Frank Sherman (1887-1967)
Clifton and Frank Sherman were sons of an American blast furnace and steel mill superintendent and they were drawn into the steel business. They became aware of the development in the Canadian steel industry and moved to Hamilton in 1912 to begin a small foundry.
The Dominion Steel Foundry Company was capitalized at half a million dollars with about 100 employees and a daily steel-making capacity of 80 tons. The company expanded during the Great War and renamed itself Dofasco and the brothers won reputations as innovators in the area of steel production.
Their feeling for people led to the profit sharing plan and other programs that have fostered a sense of community among the company and employees. The Shermans contributed in many ways to Hamilton. Among other activities, Frank took a special interest in encouraging amateur sport throughout the city.