What do I need to borrow material?
To borrow library material, you will need your library card number and your PIN. A PIN is assigned when you register for a card. The default PIN is the last four digits of the telephone number you gave us when you signed up for your card.
You can change this PIN at any time at any library branch. Please make sure you bring proper indentification when you wish to make changes to your account.
How long can I borrow material for?
- 21 day loan period - Applies to most print materials and Music CDs
- 14 day loan period - Bestseller Express, Magazines
- 7 day loan period - DVDs, Blu-rays, Games
- 3 day loan period - DVD Express
When you check out material you will receive a receipt with the due date for the items you have borrowed. A receipt can also be emailed to you. You can also check MyHPL for due dates. Be sure to return your items on time to avoid any late fines.
Is there a limit to how many or types of items I can borrow?
How do I renew items?
- Most items may be renewed five (5) times following the initial checkout.
- Items that are non-renewable: Requested items, Magazines, DVD Express and Bestseller Express.
- Renew items online by logging into your online account (click on MyHPL and go to Checked Out), in person at a branch or by telephone at 905-546-3200.
Where can I return items?
Return items to any branch of the Hamilton Public Library. If the branch is closed, an after-hours book drop is available.