How to pay forward fines:
Customers can pay waived fines or fees at a service desk at any location or online. Customers can pay fines or fees on accounts, other than their own, without the card being present. However, staff may not be able to issue a receipt.
Suspension of Borrowing Privileges
Library Member accounts will be blocked from further loans when half of their loan limit is overdue. Due dates are determined by the open hours at the location where the item is checked out. If a location is open on Sundays, items checked out at that location may be due back on a Sunday.
Suspensions only apply to physical borrowing. Digital collections and resources remain accessible. See Borrowing Policy .
- Discovery Cards - 20 items overdue
- Inspire Cards - 3 items overdue
- Community Cards - 100 items overdue
- Reciprocal Cards - $10 suspension limit ($5 for Juvenile Reciprocal cards)
- Non-Resident Cards - $50 suspension limit
Lost / Damaged Materials
Customers who book the Makerspace equipment and supplies are responsible for loss or damage and will be charged associated lost/ damaged fees.
Substitutes - Hamilton Public Library does not accept substitutes for lost or damaged material in lieu of fees for lost costs.
Interlibrary Loans - The Interlibrary Loan rate listed is the rate assigned at the time the item is determined lost or missing. Customers are responsible for the full rate charged by the lending institutions and rates are adjusted as the customer is invoiced.
The fines, fees and lost cost for items is outlined below:
Cards and other Fees
- Non-resident Card - Annual – in 2020 - $60; 2021 - $80; 2022 - $100
Exceptions to Standard Fines
- Interlibrary Loan items (ILLO) - Some libraries charge for late items and customers are asked to cover the late fines.
Library Material Lost/Damaged Fees