For full Fines and Fees information, see the Fines and Fees Policy.
Late fines are charged on overdue materials for each day an item is out past its due date. Due dates are determined by the open hours at the location where the item is checked out. If a location is open on Sundays, items checked out at that location may be due back on a Sunday. Customers with email notification will receive an email informing them of renewals and which items are coming due.
Fines are charged on overdue materials up to a maximum amount per item based on Library card type and item type, as per list below. Customers will be billed if materials are not returned within a set period of time, as outlined in the Borrowing Policy. The library does pursue overdue accounts with a collection agency for accounts that exceed the established threshold of $100. Accounts are not credit reported. Fines are cleared after 4 years.
Fines for Library Materials
- Regular Material - $0.25 per item, per day; $5 maximum per item
- Juvenile Material - $0.10 per item, per day; $2.50 maximum per item
- DVD Express, Bestseller Express - $1 per item, per day; $10 maximum per item
- Video Games: Adults & Teens - $1 per item, per day; $10 maximum per item
- Video Games: Juvenile - $0.50 per item, per day; $5 maximum per item
- Other Material types - $0.10 per item, per day; $2.50 maximum per item
Exceptions to Standard Fines
- Inspire Card - No fines applied, except for Express items and Video Games: $0.50 per item, per day up to a maximum of $5 per item. Inspire card holder is responsible for fees on lost or damaged materials. It should be noted that Inspire card holders have reduced borrowing privileges with this card. See Borrowing Policy.
- Community Cards - No fines applied. Community cardholder is responsible for fees on lost or damaged materials.
- Interlibrary Loan items (ILLO) - Some libraries charge for late items and customers are asked to cover the late fines.
Suspension of Borrowing Privileges
Borrowing privileges are suspended when customers have fines and/or overdue materials in excess of the following limits. Suspensions only apply to physical borrowing. Digital collections and resources remain accessible. See Borrowing Policy.
- Discovery Cards - $50 suspension limit
- Inspire Cards - $50 suspension limit or if two items are overdue
- Community Cards - $300 suspension limit
- Reciprocal Cards - $10 suspension limit ($5 for Juvenile Reciprocal cards)
- Non-Resident Cards - $50 suspension limit
How to pay:
Customers can pay fines or fees at a service desk at any library location. Most locations accept debit, VISA or Mastercard. Online payment through SmartPay is only available for credit cards at this time. Customers can pay fines or fees on accounts other than their own without the card being present, however, staff may not be able to issue a receipt.
Lost / Damaged Materials
Customers are responsible for paying fees for lost or damaged materials. Associated fines are not applied.
Customers who book the makerspace equipment and supplies are responsible for loss or damage and will be charged associated lost/ damaged fees.
Substitutes - Hamilton Public Library does not accept substitutes for lost or damaged material in lieu of fees for lost costs.
Interlibrary Loans - The Interlibrary Loan rate listed is the rate assigned at the time the item is determined lost or missing. Customers are responsible for the full rate charged by the lending institutions and rates are adjusted as the customer is invoiced.
For a complete list of fees, see the Fines and Fees Policy.
Found / Returned Items
If the lost item is found and returned, you will be eligible for reimbursement of the charge as long as the following criteria are met:
See the Refund Policy for further details
Collection Agency Notification
Library accounts will be sent to a collection agency when your card has reached $100.00 due to unpaid fines and fees. Accounts are not credit reported. You will not be able to borrow physical materials until your account is cleared. Digital collections and resources remain accessible.
If your account is sent to the collection agency, a non-refundable fee of $15.00 will be added to your account.