- Information about what a person has borrowed is not kept in the customer’s account after the item is returned except where fines and fees may have occurred, or when the customer has activated the borrower history feature which keeps a list of returned items. Staff may access the last borrower information for library business purposes only.
- Visiting Library Service (VLS) customers’ information is retained for the period they are enrolled in the service.
Library cardholders receive notifications regarding their borrowing from the Library. Customers are notified by email or automated telephone calls/voicemail messages regarding items that are overdue or are on hold and ready to be picked up. Customers who provide an email address, will additionally, receive emails about items that will be automatically renewed or are coming due. If customers prefer not to receive library notifications and opt to manage their borrowed materials, this can be requested.
Inactive cards are deleted on a four (4) year cycle.
Signing the library card implies the card holder’s acceptance of and adherence to rules and regulations of Hamilton Public Library. All card holders are responsible for:
- Materials checked out on their card
- Promptly reporting changes in registration information such as name, address or contact information and
- Promptly reporting the loss or theft of a library card
Card holders also authorize the Library to collect personal information for the purpose of providing service.
Verification: Discovery and Inspire card holders are required to verify their contact information every three (3) years. Non-Resident, Reciprocal, Community Cards require annual verification.
A valid Hamilton Public Library card is required to borrow materials. Loan periods vary based on the materials borrowed and the type of Library card used to borrow materials. Loan periods also vary when borrowing Makerspace items or technology equipment.