The Hamilton Public Library strives to offer community access to new and emerging technologies. This policy establishes the acceptable use of the Library’s 3D printing equipment by the public in collaboration with Library staff.
1. The Library’s 3D printers are available to the public to make three-dimensional objects in filament using a design that is uploaded from a digital file. The Library’s 3D scanners are available to the public to create 3D scans of objects, which may then be built on the 3D printers.
2. The use of the 3D printers and scanners must conform to the Hamilton Public Library’s Technology and Internet Use Policy.
3. The Library’s 3D printers and scanners may be used only for lawful purposes. The public will not be permitted to use the Library’s 3D printers and scanners to create material that is:
- Prohibited by provincial or federal law.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous or poses an immediate threat to the well being of others.
- Obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the Library environment.
- In violation of another's intellectual property rights; for example, the printers and scanners may not be used to reproduce materials that is subject to copyright, patent or trademark protection.
4. Printers and scanners are available for booking. If there are no reservations for these equipment, walk ins will be accommodated on a first come, first-served basis. The Library reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request.
5. Printers are to be operated by Library staff only. Scanners may be operated by the public only after an orientation session by Library staff.
6. Printing costs are $0.10 per gram of filament (of object's finished printed weight). The cost of the print will be charged to the customer's library account.
7. In submitting digital files for printing, the customer agrees to assume all responsibility for, and shall hold the Library harmless in, all matters related to patented, trademarked or copyrighted materials.
8. The Library is not responsible for the functionality or quality of content produced on the 3D printer.
9. Items printed from Library 3D printers that are not picked up within 14 days will become property of the Library.
10. Refunds are not permitted.