The Newcomer Learning Centre (NLC) Online Tutoring program provides flexible and accessible language learning opportunities to newcomers unable to attend language programs in-person. Learners and Tutors meet online through video/audio chat twice per week for one hour each session using the NLC Website or Phone App.
- Age 19+.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Advanced computer skills.
- A Secondary School diploma is preferred.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Reliable and trustworthy.
- An interest in other cultures.
- A recent Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check within 30 days of being matched with a student (dated within the past 12 months).
- Help participants learn and practice English online.
- Conduct one-hour online session at a mutually agreed upon time, twice a week.
- Submit a monthly lesson report.
- Respect confidentiality.
- Meet online and foster friendships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Help newcomers improve their English skills and confidence.
- Valuable tutoring experience.
- Receive training in the use of educational technology in ESL field.
- Initial training at the Newcomer Learning Centre, 4th Floor Central Library.
- Regular online sessions with students using the NLC Website or Smartphone APP.
This program is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.