Recognizing Excellence in Writing
For Hamilton-area writers, presented in partnership with the Hamilton Public Library and Hamilton Arts & Letters magazine.
Please read the guidelines carefully as a number of them have changed since last year.
Writers will be notified of the results by email before the awards ceremony. Winners will read from their works at the awards ceremony on Sunday November 18, 2018.
- Writers currently living in areas serviced by the Hamilton Public Library, excluding out-of-town borrowers.
- 2017 SWP Winners in any category should skip a year before submitting again.
Submissions open May 2018 and close October 12, 2018.
- If you do not have computer access, drop off your submission at any of the Hamilton Public Library branches with the envelope clearly marked Short Works Prize / Attention: Marcel Faulkner, Central Library.
- The cost to enter: $0.
- Entries will not be returned.
- Blind Judging: Please do not include your name on the pages of your story/poem. Your name should only appear on the submission form.
- Plagiarism will result in automatic disqualification.
- Professionally published authors may submit in two of the three categories: Poetry, Fiction, Creative Non-Fiction.
- Published authors should not submit work in the Off-the-Radar category.
Off-the-Radar and Young Writers please submit:
- One poem OR
- One piece of fiction OR
- One piece of literary non-fiction
These are the 5th Annual Short Works Prizes :
- The Judy Marsales Real Estate Ltd. Award for Published Poetry
- The Alvin A. Lee Award for Published Creative Non-Fiction
- The Hamilton Public Library Freda Waldon Award for Published Fiction
- The Mohawk College Award for Writing
- The Redeemer University College Award for Writing
- The Rotary Club of Hamilton AM Young Writers Awards
- The Gillett Reminiscence Awards
For published works: your poem, short story, or short essay must have appeared in a magazine, journal, or as part of a multi-authored book in 2017. Published authors may submit to two categories; one piece only per category. Anyone who won a cash prize in 2017 should not enter in any category in 2018.
Off-the-Radar for Unpublished Writers over age 20 -- If you have never been published, you may submit one poem, or one short story, or one piece of creative non-fiction. Anyone who won a cash prize in 2017 should not enter in any category in 2018.
The Rotary Club of Hamilton AM Young Writers Prizes for Unpublished Writers ages 16-20 -- if you have never been published you may submit one poem, or one short story, or one piece of creative non-fiction. Anyone who won a cash prize in 2017 should not enter in any category in 2018.
The Gillett Reminiscence Prizes are awarded to Memoir Writing Workshop participants. Submissions are made to the Workshop Facilitator.