Crime in Hamilton
When Hamilton was first settled the very first issue that was addressed was what to do about crime in the area. The answer was to build the area's first court house in 1817 which included cells in the lower half to use as a jail. The next courthouse/jail was constructed in the mid 1820s and opened for business in 1827. The street behind this building was known as Tyburn Street after the street of execution in London, England. After the police village of Hamilton was created in 1833 the very first item of business dealt with by the board was a complaint by High Bailiff John Ryckman about a citizen driving his horses furiously, endangering children. There was some sort of police force from then on the enforce the laws of the city and the county. A Board of Police Commissioners was formed in 1872 to oversee the operation of a professional police department. They dealt with all complaints including the most serious complaint: Murder.
Murders in Hamilton
The earliest murder documented in the Hamilton area was in 1801 and the murderess became the first woman ever hanged in Ontario.
At one time there was a specialized police force that dealt with crime in Hamilton's parks.
Since 1960 dogs have been used by the Hamilton Police Force to help fight crime.