Extending HPL Services
The Visiting Library Service (VLS) provides a wide range of library materials to Hamilton residents unable to get to a Library or make use of HPL’s services on their own.
HPL staff select materials based on needs and interests. All library materials may be borrowed. The service is convenient and free. Individuals can apply directly or have a relative, friend or social worker apply on their behalf.
To qualify individuals must:
- Be homebound or institutionalized for three months or longer because of age, illness, frailty or caregiver responsibilities.
- Be a Hamilton resident.
You can submit your application:
November 2020 Update:
Individuals Living Independently in the Community
Borrow By Mail service is Hamilton Public Library’s free, outreach service. Please read below to discover more about this service.
- Library Materials Delivered Directly to You
We will mail library materials to you each month. These are selected according to your preferences that we have on file.
- Returning Library Materials: It’s Quick and Easy
You will not be charged late fines for any library materials. Take your time to enjoy your materials and return them at your convenience.
You have multiple options for returning library materials:
- With each mailing, we’ll include a postage-paid return envelope to return items.
- Your family or friends can return the items on your behalf.
- Items can be returned to any HPL branch drop box.
- Canada Post offers a Delivery Accommodation Program to help you post packages back to the library. For more information about this program, please call Canada Post at 1-844-454-3009.
Individuals Living at Assisted Living Facilities
Monthly delivery service is available for individuals living at assisted living facilities with staff capacity to distribute library materials to their residents. If you are staff at an assisted living facility interested in this service, please contact us for more information. If you live at an assisted living facility and are wondering if your residence has signed up for this service, please encourage your staff to contact us for more information.
Borrow By Mail service is also available for individuals living at assisted living facilities. Please read above to discover more about this service.
For general questions, please call 905-546-3200, extension 3222. You may also email ASKHPL@hpl.ca or chat with us through our website, hpl.ca.