1950-1962 - Lloyd Douglas Jackson
Jackson received his early education at Petrolia before entering McMaster University in Toronto in 1904. He graduated with a Bachelor's degree in chemistry. He lectured at the Ontario Agricultural College for three years before moving to Winnipeg to be a cereal chemist. In 1922 he bought the Sykes Bread Company in Hamilton. Jackson's Bread expanded from 18 to 600 employees and the payroll jumped from $41,000 to more than $1 million as they opened branches across Western Ontario. In 1949 he broke into municipal politics, after five years on the Board of Education, when he was elected Mayor. He continued being re-elected for 13 years, a record at that time, until his defeat in the 1962 election. For his 1961 term, he was acclaimed. During his tenure urban renewal started to reshape the downtown core, the new City Hall was built and opened, capital works projects boomed and civic management was re-organized. In 1970 the major commercial development in downtown Hamilton was named Lloyd D. Jackson Square.
Born: April 22, 1888, near Sarnia, Ont.
Married: Susan Watson, 1913
Died: September 11, 1973
Buried: Woodland Cemetery