1896 - George Elias Tuckett
Tuckett's family emigrated to Hamilton in 1842 and he began business by opening a shoe store in 1852. He then began manufacturing cigars with David Ross. In 1857 he established a tobacco business in London, Ontario and returned to Hamilton the next year to open a store at York and Bay Streets. He went into partnership with Alfred Campbell Quimby in 1862 to manufacture plug tobacco. After a brief foray into glass making he returned to tobacco in 1866. In 1880 his partner, Billings, retired and Tuckett, his son and nephew formed George E. Tuckett & Son with a new factor on Queen Street North. Tuckett served as a councillor for St. Mary's Ward in 1864. With the backing of the Spectator he became Mayor in 1896.
Born: December 4, 1835, Exeter, England
Married: Elizabeth Leak, ca 1858
Died: February 19, 1900
Buried: Hamilton Cemetery