The Visiting Library Service provides a wide range of library materials to Hamilton residents who are homebound for three months or longer due to illness, injury or disability. This valuable service for the homebound is made possible through the efforts of volunteers who deliver library materials.
Time and Location
3-4 hours per month, minimum 1 year commitment, at any branch.
- Able to provide your own means of delivery transportation
- Physically capable of lifting and carrying bags of library materials
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Good interpersonal skills
- A recent Police Vulnerable Sector Check is required before starting (dated within the last 12 months). The Police Vulnerable Sector Check will not be required until after acceptance to the program.
- Once a month, during an assigned delivery week, to pick up library materials from a convenient library branch
- Deliver customer(s) library materials and return completed materials to a library branch
- Advise the Visiting Library Staff of any changes
- Respect confidentiality
- A rewarding experience for the volunteer, knowing that they are making a difference in the life of someone homebound by fostering independence, inclusion and a lifelong love of reading
- Provide a personal link between the library and the homebound
- A very flexible schedule
Apply online or download the application form.