This policy governs staff and customer use of social media tools for official library purposes.
STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT
The Hamilton Public Library (HPL) is committed to using social media technology to provide a venue for shared information resources with our customers and partners and providing a means for meaningful communication between customers, partners and library staff. HPL staff will strive to create a social media presence that is consistent with our core values of promoting intellectual freedom, inclusiveness, innovation, respect and accountability. We will promote the free exchange of ideas while protecting personal information and rights.
Objectives of HPL’s social media presence include:
- Extend the reach of HPL's online message, thereby improving relationships with library customers, potential customers and key influencers.
- Provide an interactive, real-time platform using an informal/human voice to engage in dialog.
- Provide simple method for customers to provide feedback and seek assistance
- Provide wide-ranging entry points to our services and collections
- Provide thought leadership and credibility, enhancing HPL's strong reputation online.
- Demonstrate our commitment to and understanding of emerging media/technology
- Provide opportunities to train staff in the use of social media
Social media sites provide a forum for promoting the free exchange of ideas which Hamilton Public Library will encourage. However, content that contravenes our Statement of Commitment, Code of Conduct, or otherwise violates privacy or other legislation will be removed from the site. Violations may result in restrictions on future postings to HPL social media sites. HPL reserves the right to edit or modify submissions when reposting or providing comment. HPL is not responsible for the reliability of content provided via links that are posted to our social media sites. Being followed by HPL on any social media platform or having messages or content created by other parties shared on HPL social media does not imply endorsement.
HPL welcomes feedback and ideas from all our customers, and will endeavour to join the conversation where possible. We will read all messages and comments and ensure that emerging themes or helpful suggestions are passed to the relevant staff at HPL; however, HPL will not be able to reply individually to all messages received via social media.
Customers are reminded to protect their privacy when participating in online public forums.
If you have any concerns regarding application of this policy or HPL social media sites please contact the Hamilton Public Library and you will receive a response in two working days.